Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Chi-Town

Chicago is one of my favorite cities. I love the buildings (the architecture here is spectacular, especially the old Frank Lloyd Wright homes and the Art Deco skyscrapers), the people, the food, the music, the museums, the people watching on Michigan Avenue, the Dutch Babies at the House of Pancakes, all of it!

My first visit was a little unnerving, big city and all. I was young and came from a small town in Kansas. My younger brother (10) and I (12) were allowed to wander the city on our own (while my mom and step-father were packing heat...what's wrong with that picture?!) My brother and I visited all the museums, aquariums, planetariums, and Al Capone's jail cell. We also accompanied our step-father to a tattoo parlor on the South Side where we sat in utter disbelief because a) he was getting a tattoo (a hummingbird, for those who care) and b) there was a woman getting a tattoo in the next room. Sitting there, we listened to sirens racing up and down the night streets of the city. Not a good place to take the kids, if you want my opinion, but there we were. The thing that struck me most about Chicago then was its integrated diversity. There didn't seem to be a "good" side and a "bad" side of the city. Both seemed to coexist on the same street, if not the same block. At least this was true of the small section of Chicago that we were able to experience on foot and by bus. We were too nervous to try and figure out the train system back then. But I always liked that about Chicago.

Fast forward to today...we're in Chicago for a few days of rest and relaxation. And this city has gotten better with age. We visit on occasion and it's always a treat. The weather is spectacular and the city is pristine! Lake Michigan is filled with sailboats not quite ready to venture out. The air is still a bit chilly. And windy. But it's a dry wind. ;-) Tomorrow, we see Spamalot! And tonight, we'll enjoy Giordano's pizza!

I'll be back...

8 Comments:

At 2:26 PM, April 19, 2006, Blogger beth said...

Have a ball - and lots of pizza! (Though I've never managed more than one piece at G's.) You'll have to tell us how you like Spamalot - July can't get here fast enough for me! :)

 
At 2:51 PM, April 19, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Thanks, Beth, we will (have a ball and eat lots of pizza)! :-)

Right now, I'm having a ball sitting in Border's books overlooking the people on Michigan Ave and hoping I don't end up like that guy in San Francisco (stabbed for his computer). ;-)

 
At 7:06 PM, April 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have heaps of fun and if you take pictures, I'd love to see them (having never been to Chicago and all!)!

 
At 9:37 PM, April 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No way!! I just came back from there today myself. Well, the western suburbs anyhow. Mmmm.. Giordano's. Spinach stuffed pizza...

And Spamalot! What fun!

Enjoy yourself.

:-)

 
At 1:50 PM, April 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric-LOL!

Mmmm giordano's....That is a definite requirement when we go that direction next month!

Have a blast!

 
At 4:51 PM, April 20, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Brian, I thought that was you, hanging out at the Art Institute, right? ;-) We're staying out in the western suburbs also, because every single hotel room downtown was sold (except for the presidential suite at the Drake, $3,000). I'm sorry your trip was not for fun.

 
At 4:58 PM, April 20, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Oh, and to answer Eric's delicate question, it's not likely to be any different than the one I was sporting before the trip. But that's another story for another day. ;-)

 
At 2:31 PM, April 21, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Well, it was either that (my favorite is #109), or the CBIZ vector. What can I say? ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home