Tuesday, April 18, 2006

24

No, not the TeeVee show. I know nothing about that. But today marks my completion of 24 tax seasons. I don't know how many more I've got in me. Each one seems to take its toll on the soul. I am wiped out. I haven't gone to bed before 3 am for 2 weeks now. But somehow, praise God, it all got done. As it does every year. I can't tell you how many times the words "this too shall pass" were uttered here in the office. And everyone was able to take Easter off because that was important to us. But it took a lot out of us. Every year, we lose a person or two or three. They decide they'd rather join the creative ranks of the oil and gas accountants or better yet, become stay at home moms. Me, I think I want to sell everything, go live on a sailboat, travel around the world and write about our adventures. Maybe do some business consulting, via satellite, to pay the bills. Maybe. Maybe just find a way to live on much less and enjoy life more fully. Maybe. Maybe open up a silversmithing studio and do a few tax returns out of the front office. Maybe. I guess I really like what I'm doing or I wouldn't still be doing it. Either that, or I'm crazy. Today, as the fog lifts, I think it's the latter.

And who's responsible for this blog thing anyway? Did I do this? What was I thinking???

6 Comments:

At 11:44 AM, April 18, 2006, Blogger beth said...

Yay! Happy End of Tax Season! :)

So next year is your Silver Tax Season...does that mean you get to charge more (you know, to pay for the silver?) Hm. STS...also the abbreviation used, I believe, for Shuttle Missions. Wonder if we can draw bizarre correlations just for grins...

Anyway, hope you get caught up on sleep and normal life quickly!

 
At 12:54 PM, April 18, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Gee, I guess I oughta stick around for that...a Space Shuttle mission. That would be very cool! Much cooler than a 25 year anniversary of preparing tax returns. ;-)

 
At 5:18 PM, April 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad it's finally all over for you... I know it was very taxing for you (bad pun intentional!).

 
At 1:36 PM, April 19, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Eric, I'm not so sure that first comment was all that "male-like." I think we should follow our passions and do what we really want to do because I believe God guides us through our passions. That should be simple. The worldly stuff often gets in the way and we think we should be doing other things for the wrong reasons, usually money.

That said, I'd be really happy doing any of the things I mentioned.

 
At 3:05 PM, April 19, 2006, Blogger Lyn said...

Congrats. You can file that year away and return again soon for your 25th taxing year! :-)

 
At 4:39 PM, April 20, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Ugh, groan! From the world's punniest guy, thanks! ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home