Monday, February 02, 2009

Facebook and Television Violence

I'm not quite sure how it happened, but apparently, I set up a Facebook account over a year ago and then never populated it except to upload a profile picture. Then I decided to accept and send a few (very few) "friend" invitations over the weekend and now, I'm up to 9 friends. Nine! This is rather paltry in the world of Facebook, I realize, but such is the story of my life. And as my husband says, you're lucky to have even one good friend in this day and age. I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the "garbage" on Facebook and am not likely to use it much because it's just so...much. And without a user's manual (or a 13-year-old), I can't figure it out. Certainly, I'll never be a Facebook addict, but I can see how it could become a great time consumer what with all the kidnapping, mafia hunting, egg gathering, flair sporting, quiz taking, bubble wrapping and gingerbread baking activities goin' on. Holy cow, Batman! Please, just give me a few good friends. To those who have accepted my request of friendship, thank you! :-)

Baby Spartacus watched the Super Bowl last night (following a long afternoon of cage fighting, "Grandpa, what are you watching with him, anyway? He is glued to the television!" "Cage fighting. He likes it." "CAGE FIGHTING?! What are you teaching the boy?! Oh, please, turn that crap off!"). The funny thing was, he really did seem to enjoy watching both the game and the cage fighting. Even if Grandpa wasn't holding him facing the tv, he laid on his blanket full of toys and ignored the toys, staring instead at the tv overhead. Later, there was much "unnecessary roughness" going on in our house. Little Sparky has already learned to hit! Everytime Grandpa tried to feed him, or wipe the drool off his mouth, or just hold him, there was much wild flailing of arms and smacking of Grandpa on the knuckles (especially painful if he happened to be holding a rattle). It was hilarious, really, because Grandpa asked for it. He doesn't do that at all when I hold him. It must be a boy thing. Finally, Grandpa had to throw down the yellow flag because seriously, who wants to get that call from the Kindergarten teacher?

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 8:15 PM, February 02, 2009, Blogger beth said...

There is quite a bit to waste time with on FB - I will admit to spending too much time looking for eggs. :)

Cage fighting...oh my. :)

 
At 11:45 PM, February 03, 2009, Blogger Rae said...

I did think of deleting facebook because of the time wasting but then I'd never know anything that was going on lol.

 
At 7:09 AM, February 04, 2009, Blogger Sisiggy said...

Quick -- play some Mozart or something; recite Whitman or, better yet, Browning, before it's too late! I'll bet he's already started belching loudly after meals.

I'm still trying to figure out the function of Facebook, since most people seem to have it along with MySpace and a blog. It sounds like something else I can start up and then feel guilty about neglecting.

 
At 7:26 PM, February 04, 2009, Blogger Gwynne said...

Beth, one can never have enough eggs. What exactly do you need eggs for anyway? And where are they? I mean, you know, where do you find them? And how do you capture them, those elusive secretive eggs? And then how do you coral them and display them on your wall, or profile, or whatever? Oh seriously, this is all too much for my feeble mind. I don't think I really want all the answers. 8-}

Library Girl, exactly, only I can only know what is going on with my 9 friends (now 10...I added a friend today(!)...actually, he's the son of a friend and I'm not sure he really meant to invite me to be his friend, but I accepted because I'm nice like that). It would be better if all of my family members were on too.

Sisiggy, I'm working it, seriously. We've got Mozart, Bach and Beethoven going 24/7 in the crib. We're reading Winnie the Pooh (almost Browning, the girl Browning, not the boy). We're singing Judy Garland show tunes. I'm bound and determined to bring this boy up right. ;-)

Oh, I'm completely confused by the Facebook thing. A blog, I always know who's writing/saying what and it's a simple tool (even if it is hard to update regularly). With Facebook, it is such small sound bites and such a barage of information from so many people (I mean, most people have a lot more than 9 friends and I don't know how they keep up with them, or if they even try) that anything meaningful gets lost in all the noise. It's a bit like driving on the Los Angeles freeways.

 
At 3:28 AM, February 05, 2009, Blogger Jen said...

I like FB mostly for keeping in touch with folks I haven't been in contact with for years - college friends and my old Young Life staff peeps. The other stuff is noise, but I'll play when I have the time.

And I keep the blog separate from my FB profile - I blog anonymously and have a lot of online only "friends" by that vehicle. My FB profile is open to only those who actually know me in person.

 
At 7:44 AM, February 05, 2009, Blogger Sisiggy said...

Umm...knock it off with Judy Garland. You want him manly but sensitive, not gay.

 
At 9:47 AM, February 05, 2009, Blogger Gwynne said...

Jen, that makes sense...

Sisiggy...heh, you sound like my daughter. Just kidding with the Judy Garland tunes, sheesh! ;-)

 
At 10:17 AM, February 05, 2009, Blogger That Janie Girl said...

I'm on facebook, I'll try to find you!

 
At 7:02 PM, February 05, 2009, Blogger Foo said...

Cage fighting? Bah. Just get two cats.

 
At 11:02 AM, February 08, 2009, Blogger Bobkat said...

I just use FB to keep in touch with people. It can be as nebulous or as intensive as you want it to be I've found as I only do what I want to on there :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home