Sunday, January 25, 2009

When Life Gives You Cornflakes...

...make cornflake cookies. I am convinced that there is no better combination in the food world than peanut butter and sugar. Throw in some butter, corn syrup and corn flakes and you've got all the makings of a heavenly diabetic coma. I've got several versions of cornflake cookies lined up, not all of which are coated in peanut butter, but all of which sound positively delicious.

This is my entitlement. See, our daughter, being a single mother on very little income, qualifies for WIC coupons and while we could well afford to stock the kitchen and buy the grandson's formula, she can't, so I figure this is her way of contributing to the household budget and we might as well take advantage of this gracious gift from our federal government much as I am opposed to "entitlements" generally.

Trouble is, we now have a cupboard full of store-brand cornflakes and evaporated milk (the coupons specify exactly how many ounces of specific food products you may purchase...not being one to turn away free food, we dutifully stocked up on evaporated milk with every coupon even though I have no clue what we are supposed to do with it). We were keeping up with the cornflakes supply until I made the executive decision to throw away the white sugar, cannister and all (the reason for this is simple...I grew weary of putting away the sugar cannister and wiping sugar off the counter and floor because someone else in the house, who shall remain nameless, was unable to put away/clean up after herself...also, none of us really need any more white sugar in our diet, so no more...which leaves us with a bunch of unsweetened cornflakes and really, who wants to eat that?).

Granted, I could have thrown away the extra 5 or 6 boxes of cereal. Afterall, the cost per box, if we had paid for them was only about $1.84 each. But this runs completely counter to my core beliefs...i.e. though shall not throw away food (somehow, in my mind, cornflakes count as "food" while sugar apparently does not) because there are starving children all around the world. So instead? Well, instead, I decided to go to the store and buy sugar again, and a bunch of other ingredients that cost more than the 5 or 6 boxes of cereal, so that I might make lots of cornflakes cookies. Most of which I will give away because seriously, I think I may be borderline diabetic.

But first, I will indulge myself in the wonder that is peanut butter cornflake cookies. Mmmmm...

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 2:52 PM, January 25, 2009, Blogger That Janie Girl said...

I've never heard of cornflake cookies! I might have to try those out!

 
At 8:27 PM, January 25, 2009, Blogger Lynellen said...

Just check those peanut butter jars against the recall list first! After that, make sure you show us a picture of the deliciousness we're missing.

 
At 7:17 AM, January 26, 2009, Blogger Sisiggy said...

Somewhere around here I have a recipe for "O Henry" bars -- same thing as the peanut butter cookies, only with the added dividend of chocolate. I'll dig it out if you are interested, but I don't want to be an enabler if you really don't want a lot of this stuff hanging around. We can't or no one would eat a regular meal.

Ya know, I'm wondering if that "borderline diabetic" thing is an offshoot of being "of a certain age." You're younger than me, but I'm pretty sure I started noticing it in my forties. Being the food-a-holic I am, though, I didn't start taking it seriously until recently when I truly felt lousy enough.

Evaporated milk -- good to have around as back up milk in the winter in case of storms. Mostly good as a milk substitute in baking, but we use it as creamer if we run out unexpectedly.

 
At 10:58 PM, January 26, 2009, Blogger Gwynne said...

Lynellen, I figured if the PB was old, and I hadn't gotten sick yet, it was probably okay. Not sure if that was a safe assumption...but we'll know in a day or two. ;-)

Sisiggy, one of the recipes sounds like the O'Henry bars...I'll be sure to take pictures and report back. And I'm sure that being of a certain age does have something to do with it...I've always feared my sugar addiction might lead to diabetes, but I've yet to confirm it (and until I hear the official diagnosis, I'll continue to put my head in the sand). And it sounds like the evaporated milk is a good thing to keep on hand for an emergency then...thanks for that. Honestly, the only thing I've ever used it for is snow ice cream. But we haven't had a good snow in a long time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home