Sunday, February 17, 2008

Happy Birthday, Dad!

Today is the day that my dad was born and we will celebrate his birth this evening with a small family dinner and dessert (I sure hope there will be dessert...I may bake a cake, just to be sure).

For his birthday, I am really excited about giving him this. The original photo had significance because it was taken on a special trip my dad took last Fall to the Gallatin River in Montana, where they filmed A River Runs Through It. I also loved the composition of the photo and thought it would be perfect for a painting. After seeing a similar painting of a fly fisherman on Don's site, I inquired if it was still available. When he said it had been sold, I asked if he would consider doing a painting on commission and sent him the photo. I know it is difficult to do commission work because the artist never quite knows what the "patron" expects. My mom is a painter and frets every time she is asked to do a commission piece. But Don willingly took it on and the end result far exceeded my expectations! I think Dad is going to love it. He too is an artist (an architect and wood turner), so I know he will appreciate it.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 4:36 PM, February 17, 2008, Blogger Rae said...

It looks fantastic! He'll be stoked!

 
At 6:50 AM, February 18, 2008, Blogger Sisiggy said...

Happy Birthday to your dad! Great gift!

 
At 4:13 AM, February 19, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, he'll love it! I would be thrilled if anyone commissioned a painting for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home