Tuesday, February 20, 2007

One Track Mind

I have reached a brief respite in my mind. Isn't it wonderful when you reach a stopping point on the trail of a long hike up the mountain and can go ahhh, take a deep breath or two before going on? That's where I am right now. I've just cleared off the scattered heaps from my desk, organized a nice little box beside my desk in which to put "tax returns for review" so that they don't have to rest all over my desk threatening me with bodily harm if I do not pick them up immediately. I just caught up on my time sheet (wherein I record how I spend every. minute. of. my. day.) . I've spent these last few days scurrying about crossing things off my To Do list at a frantic pace, without pausing to write down which clients I have been working on. Until I clear my mind of all these details that need to be committed to paper, I cannot rest enough to move onto the next task with a clear head. I can feel the neurons shooting around my head like a pinball machine.

I've discovered that I am not really a multi-tasker at heart. I like to move things linearly across my desk. One thing at a time. But this is not the life of a public accountant, interrupted constantly with phone calls, emails, co-workers, all with pressing matters, not all of which can be resolved in the instant, causing utter chaos in my head. I have a one-track mind but I live in a multi-track world and most of the time, it feels like a trainwreck. But right now, I've got before me a stack of tax returns, the phone is off, nobody is emailing me, nobody else is in the building (or if they are, they are like me and keeping to themselves trying to get their own work done) and I plan to review some tax returns. One. By. One.

Ahhhh.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 5:21 AM, February 21, 2007, Blogger Rae said...

I know what you mean about being focussed on a single task! I try to be that way at work otherwise I forget things hehe.

 
At 7:58 AM, February 21, 2007, Blogger beth said...

Yay for brief respites! And also for people who get your their taxes early and not April 11th! :)

(And if this ends up posting twice, I blame blogger. And I stand behind that blame casting and insist that it is not my fault! :) )

 
At 5:33 PM, February 21, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Multitasking is overrated. And, I would say, overestimated in its effectiveness.

Give me an uninterrupted 30 minutes any time.

Please?

 
At 10:26 PM, February 21, 2007, Blogger That Janie Girl said...

Oh, girl, I feel for you...for I am one of those constant interruptions that make your life crazy (so my CPA says.:)). At work, we always go places with our customers and one of my co-workers wives is a CPA and she always gets so mad as us - our trips are always around April 15 and Oct 15 and any other quarterly 15th.
May this season go well for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home