Thursday, February 22, 2007

Busy Week, A Report

Like you want to know what I'm doing over here. Like it's interesting or something. And while it feels like all I do is work these days, here is a list of what I have done since last Saturday:

1. Helped my husband give a bid to paint a large and very old building in downtown Kansas City, next door to this building (helped, as in follow him around with a camera and write stuff down on a piece of paper; no scaffolding).

2. Bought a new (used) car, a BUICK! I know. Told you I was boring.

It's white and it looks like this. And it came with a navigational lady that tells me where to go (she needs a name; I'll entertain all suggestions) and a tv/dvd in the back, and XM radio. All stuff I didn't want or ask for, but there it is and I'm sure we'll enjoy it. It was the right price. Cheap! Only 15,000 miles, fully loaded, and for 1/2 (HALF) of the MSRP! It helps to have car dealerships for clients. :-) I still have my Beetle but no longer feel stranded when the 18-year-old has our only 4X4 and we are hit with an unexpected snow storm. Of course, as soon as I bought it, the temperatures rose to 65 degrees and snow is no longer even a remote possibility. Much like how washing my car brings rain showers, I have discovered the way to stop the "wintery mix" as well. This could get expensive. We now have five vehicles for a 3-driver family. Good thing we live in the country where we can live like the Clampets. Did I mention that we also have a bathtub in the yard? Yeah. Two, actually. I'll be sure to take pictures.

3. Visited the Dead Sea Scrolls (this was a mostly disappointing display of bits, tiny bits, of parchment paper); I was underwhelmed by their size and authenticity (several were replicas); more on this "once in a lifetime opportunity" later...maybe. Here's a picture of the inside of Union Station (the old train station). This is where the scrolls are on display.


4. Saw the V-Monologues (don't make me say it) with 4 other ladies, all accountants (that's enough to make your hair stand up, isn't it?) All I can say is ugh. Although there were some good performances, I thought this was sad and disgusting. Enough said. Menopause, the Musical was much, much better.

5. Bowling tonight (a fundraiser and company wide event). Looking forward to busting a ligament in my knee again. ;-)

Update: No torn ligaments. All in all, a relatively fun evening if score is not important.

6. And finally, a lovely dinner and speaker event put on by our local Estate Planning Society.

7. Transferred our fish from their 5 gallon tank to a new 10 gallon tank and then held vigil over their tank while one appeared to drift in and out of a coma. I nearly tossed him in the trash twice when I came home to find him upside down and lifeless. But with a little nurturing and some fresh lettuce, he now appears healthier than before the transition.

That's all for now. It's not even Friday yet.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 12:33 PM, February 23, 2007, Blogger Foo said...

1. That sounds like a pretty interesting project. I've never been to K.C., but I'm somewhat familiar with the area (ca. 1850-1890 or so) because of the genealogy research I've done on a line I hope to connect to my own. The ancestor at the top of the tree is supposed to have started Kansas City's first brewery, which was at 3rd and Oak. I had someone check to see if the building might still be there, but all four corners are apparently parking lots, now.

7. Gee, that kind of reminds me of last night's episode of Gray's Anatomny.

 
At 12:34 PM, February 23, 2007, Blogger Foo said...

...or how ever you spell it.

 
At 7:29 AM, February 24, 2007, Blogger John B. said...

Gwynne,
If this is typically how you roll, I don't know if we'll be able to keep up with you if you show up at Barnes & Noble next weekend. I think you'll leave the rest of us in your dusty wake, agape in wonder.

 
At 12:37 PM, February 24, 2007, Blogger DarkoV said...

"(she needs a name; I'll entertain all suggestions)"

Too Easy.

The car's a male, right. Price Rainier? Who's the only person that can tell where the Prince should go?


Princess Grace
, of course.

 
At 3:06 PM, February 24, 2007, Blogger Gwynne said...

Foo, that's interesting! And you're right...there's no building at 3rd and Oak but it's in an interesting part of town that is being revitalized and is where my husband is currently doing a lot of work.

John, this was not at all a typical week for me and like a frog being slowly boiled, I didn't realize why I was so tired until I did a mental recap of my week, then chuckled. I hope to make it to B&N (or the Nelson) next Saturday, although I have a grandfather who may not make it until then and funeral arrangments have been tentatively set for the same day. Some things in life we cannot plan for, so we'll see.

Darko, I knew I could count on you for a suggestion or two. ;-) And I do appreciate that one. I've taken to calling her Miss Daisy, so we'll see which name sticks(hers is definitely an elderly voice and very bossy but in a nice way, almost too nice...there will almost certainly be a post about the relationship between me and Miss Daisy, or Princess Grace, forthcoming).

 
At 7:44 PM, February 26, 2007, Blogger beth said...

Wow - you know how to live it up! :) I saw a similarly uninspiring show of the dead sea scrolls. Was minorly tempted by the monologues, but will probably skip them now. And yay for the fish having a new home!

And now I will attempt to get back into the habit of commenting places regularly. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home