Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Blogroll Additions

I don't know why I feel compelled to announce additions to my blogroll, other than to share a good thing, but today I added the following good/interesting/funny reads to my roll:

Blog Meridian is a fellow Kansas blogger, of the KGB (aka the Kansas Guild of Bloggers), who writes wonderful commentary on film, art, books, music and ideas...he teaches English comp and seems to know a thing or two about writing, and ideas in general; Brian, and others who enjoy Edward Hopper, might enjoy this post which was the first post I left a comment on but not the first I read...John writes a narrative of what might be transpiring in the painting that reminds me of my own art museum note-taking exercises, only much more detailed and thought provoking.

In-A-Bloga-Da-Vida (isn't that a great blog name?) is John's much lighter blog, full of parodies (starting with the blog title obviously).

And Freakonomics, because I am finally reading the book that so many others before me have read. The revised edition refers to the blog, and I just went on today for the first time. I'm enjoying the book so far, especially the first chapter (all that I've read) in which they discuss what motivates people (broken down into social, moral and financial incentives). Their premise is "if morality represents how we would like the world to work, then economics represents how it actually does work" and they proceed to show us how everything in the world is much easier to understand if we just know what questions to ask. If I become too disgusted with the book or the material, it will come down. For anyone who hasn't read it, it's worth a peak. It has my interest peaked anyway.

There you go. Something to (hopefully) take away the pain of that last dreary post.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 4:47 AM, January 11, 2007, Blogger John B. said...

Gwynne,
Thank you very for the kind words here and, especially, for the linkage to both my humble blogs. As soon as I finish up this, I'll be reciprocating. I mostly keep both blogs for my own amusement, but I wouldn't have them if I didn't want or hope someone would find something worth his/her time there. I'm glad you did, and I hope some of your readers might, too.
Thanks again.

 
At 8:08 AM, January 11, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know it was already there, but I appreciate the linkage!

 
At 8:46 AM, January 11, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i might be interested in that book mainly because i'm sick and tired of being driven by ethics and morality and getting the poop knocked out of me

 
At 11:07 AM, January 11, 2007, Blogger Gwynne said...

John, you're welcome. Not that I expect my "readers" (I'm even embarrassed to call them that) to listen when I tell them where to go, but I've done my best. It's their loss if they don't. ;-)

Stephen, I'm sorry I did so with so little fanfare, but that's just because you were already on my "readers'" blogrolls.

Susie, it's not always easy to do the right thing because it's the moral thing to do. Just look at what they did to Jesus. ;-)

 
At 8:21 AM, January 12, 2007, Blogger Foo said...

No comment on your new additions, but every time I see the word "blogroll" in print (on screen. whatever.), I see "bogroll". And that's just wrong.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home