Wednesday, December 06, 2006

This Blog Contains 0% Trans Fat

Contrary to what I said earlier on Beth's blog, you will find no artificial trans fats here. I use only the real thing. It's real butter or nothing.

But I laughed when I stumbled on this article, via Web MD (where I go to get all my medical advice). First I laughed and then I thought, now, wait just a minute! If I want to indulge in trans fats, why shouldn't I have a right to do so? At the risk of insulting any of my readers who smoke (although I beg of you to STOP! NOW!!), I understand the ban on smoking in public places. "Your" smoke bothers those who share the same air space. There are studies that show it is more harmful to me than to "you." Smoking infringes on other people's right to breathe cleaner air (although if it's clean air you're after, places like NYC are not the place to be anyway, but that's a different matter). So I get that.

But banning a substance that has apparently passed muster with the FDA just because it is harmful to me (and others who choose to eat it), makes no sense. If I want to order 4 fried chickens and a coke, that's my prerogative. Am I just being overly sensitive here? Is this really about protecting our rights as consumers to keep medical costs down so that we can have reasonable health insurance costs? I think not. At least, no one is saying that. I think this is a case of too much government gettin' in our business. I'm sure if I tried, I could think of many more things in NYC that call for banning besides trans fats. But that would only be cause for a heated debate. I'll let the late night talk show hosts handle the Top 10 lists.

That is all.

4 Comments:

At 10:31 PM, December 06, 2006, Blogger LZ Blogger said...

FINALLY... a blog sans TRANS FATS! ~ jb///

 
At 11:24 PM, December 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's pretty much along the same lines as making seatbelts mandatory. we all have choices, and slowly these choices are being made for us? and i bet at the bottom of all of it? is the almight dollar...because of lawsuits.

 
At 8:03 AM, December 07, 2006, Blogger beth said...

I see it more as this very common mindset(granted, I'm chunky, so I think I'm a tad more offended by this than a lot of things lately, so if we're still allowed to eat salt, take this comment with a few grains): Fat people are offensive. The only way people get fat is by sitting on their butts and stuffing chocolate and trans fats into them. Only stupid people would do this. Therefore, fat people are stupid. Therefore we, the loving government, must save people from their own stupidity by banning trans fats.

But no, you're not being overly sensitive. It's ridiculous and frightening - because if we're ok with letting people legislate what we eat, what's next?

 
At 10:16 PM, December 07, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Jake's dead, and Elwood isn't.

Heh. That was dry white toast, wasn't it? ;-)

Therefore we, the loving government, must save people from their own stupidity by banning trans fats.

Exactly! If people stop eating it, other people will stop selling it. If we, the people, really want trans fats banned, I'd propose eliminating it from the school cafeterias.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home