Monday, December 04, 2006

Literacy Link Fest

Darko had an interesting link up today. Have you all seen this?

Of course, I went and took the stupid test. Because that's what I do. And here are the results.

(Dear God, please give her something more worthy of a post, will you? Amen.)

Okay, on with the results.

Reading Level Results Summary:

Words with 1 Syllable = 2361
Words with 2 Syllables = 714
Words with 3 Syllables = 231
Words with 4 or more Syllables = 84
Gunning Fog Index = 7.75*

As I mentioned on Darko's post, what this basically means is that I'm writing at the Jr. High level, less than required for a Reader's Digest subscription. I was pleased, however, that two of my favorites, Mark Twain and The Bible (surely not the King James Version) are at the 6th grade level.

Note that I have only ever used 84 words with 4 syllables or more and 70% of my words are only one syllable. Grunts really. Who wants all those extra syllables anyway? Does that really impress people? A big fat NO! to that. I like to write like I like to read, in simple sentences, with simple words, with a complex thought thrown in once in awhile. I think the most complex thoughts are best understood with simple words. Big words are best used out of context, when you least expect them, I think. When the point you're trying to make is really very simple, then a big word can add an element of humor. Really, isn't that what Dr. Seuss did?

And because I love you guys and don't want you to have to do all the work (and copying Darko's idea) I present your scores for comparison:

Beth 8.35

Eric 9.43 (with words like décolletage, you're bound to do well on this test ;-)

Jim 8.67

Brian 7.12 (Brian hasn't written enough words yet for this to be a fair representation of the "Supreme Nerd's" true score)

Emma 7.57

Susie 6.38

Foo 8.36

Bret 8.86

Jimmy 7.86

Cowtown Pattie 8.78 (What this doesn't reflect is Pattie's artfully crafted story telling abilities)

Mis_Nomer (no score?! The computer could not even read her blog!)

Thinklings 9.35

Sgazzetti 9.61

Darko 8.89

Okay, now for some anomolies (a 4-syllable word!):

Rachel 4.95 (really? Well, she does teach small children, but still...)

Jen 5.57 (sumpin ain't write here cuz Jen is real gud with words; no, really, she is a word smith; what's wrong with this picture?)

*According to Darko, who scored a 97 on the nerd test, so who's to question him, this is the most important indicator and it indicates the grade level that one needs to pass in order to comprehend your blog. Go read the link for yourself if you want any more information than that. ;-)

15 Comments:

At 8:20 PM, December 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish my word test results were lower, to correspond with my sooooper low geekitude rating.

By the way, I see your avatar (which loooks just like you) is holding a skinny latte but I'm not sure why she's in a dungeon with a really, really dead guy.

 
At 8:29 PM, December 04, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

...why she's in a dungeon...

Because that is where she works. ;-)

And your readability score is much more accurate than your "geekitude" score. Plus, you have that just-the-right-balance of simple and complex words/ideas that I'm talking about. Okay, there, I said something nice today. Finally. ;-)

 
At 9:05 PM, December 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You work with a really, really dead guy?

 
At 3:45 AM, December 05, 2006, Blogger Rae said...

I love that word - inconceivable! (thinking of the princess bride). My score is pretty pathetic! Good work on saving us work Gwynne!

 
At 7:13 AM, December 05, 2006, Blogger beth said...

Hey cool - I took a test and didn't even know it...I have a paper I need writing too, Gwynne, when can I expect to see that posted? :)

As for the avatar - I always figured the skeleton was a client. :)

 
At 1:46 PM, December 05, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Jim, that wasn't the intended message when I chose that picture, but now that you ask, there is some truth to it. Since much of my work is estate related, I joke with my partners about bringing me their dead clients (Beth was right). I get their clients when they're finished with 'em. So, yes, mostly I work with really, really dead people. But not really in a dungeon...it just feels like one sometimes. ;-)

Eric, you keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. ;-)

Rach, your readability score is as wrong as Jim's geekitude score. Maybe he'll trade you. ;-)

Beth, that's fine as long as you don't mind it be written at a 7th grade level. ;-)

 
At 6:12 PM, December 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I do write for a newspaper as my day job, and we're required to only write on a third grade level. So I AM PUMPED about this 7th grade language stuff I'm speakin'!

 
At 8:37 PM, December 05, 2006, Blogger Foo said...

Glad to see you got the rest of your site back. =)

I'm actually pretty impressed with myself. Understandable by a mid-term 8th grader? With my reputation for verbosity and convoluted sentence structure?

Exxxxcellent...

 
At 9:18 PM, December 05, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

...you got the rest of your site back.

Yeah, you noticed? I don't know what happened, but I "republished" my entire blog and it all reappeared. Sometimes the template just vaporizes like that. "Vaporizes" is the term used by "low-ranking nerds" when they have no earthly clue what just happened.

Exxxxxcellent indeed. :-)

 
At 9:25 PM, December 05, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Jimmy, you should be very proud. I know I am. ;-)

 
At 11:02 PM, December 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey wait a second, I smell a rat. I smell a ... I smell a ... I smell a décolletage!

ME DOTH PROTEST! I think Eric was tipped off so that he had a chance to use a big word and score higher than the rest of us. (It's not beneath him, y'know.)

I think he may be teacher's pet.

Can we retest? And do I get a higher score for quoting Shakespeare here?

Something's just not addin' up...

 
At 11:51 PM, December 05, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Jimmy, if you're smelling décolletage, I'm going to have to ask you to take it outside. ;-)

And do I get a higher score for quoting Shakespeare here?

I'm afraid "doth" only has one syllable (maybe more in Texas?) which won't help your score much even though the 7th graders have no idea what it means. :-\

Let's face it, there is no beating Eric at his own game. He probably wrote the test (and gave Mr. Sgazzetti a few pointers, it would appear). I certainly didn't tip him off. Nosirree. Nosirreebob (4 syllables!) He thinks he's so smart using big words like that, and special letters with accents and squiggles. Wait til the teacher finds out what he wrote. ;-)

 
At 8:43 AM, December 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet when people tried to cheat off him in junior high he gave them the wrong answers on purpose.

 
At 2:12 PM, December 06, 2006, Blogger DarkoV said...

Gwynne,
Finally a retort is available. For some resaon, your blog came up with no comment option available yesterday.
Firstly, the Super Nerd score of 97 has got to be wrong. Otherwise, I'd be controlling the world if not at least my own thoughts.
Secondly, it was correctly pointed out to me by Hillbilly, PLease, you don't want the Gunning Fog Index to be too high; who the heck will read or understand it?!? You should combine a 11.00 or so Fog Index with a Flesch Reading Ease score of 70 or so and you'll be flying high, but not too high that you're able to breath.

And, I'll confess, I had assistance with the Nerd Index test from our neighbour's pooch, a most intelligent standard poodle. He would explain at least half that score.

 
At 7:23 PM, December 06, 2006, Blogger mis_nomer said...

Patooey! (I bet throwing the word décolletage -- I had to copy and paste that -- in Gwynne's comments section is inflating her score too.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home