Sunday, December 17, 2006

Da Blues

I don't mean to be a downer, but is anyone else exhausted? I think I've got a case of the Holiday Blues.

I just took my family to the airport where they boarded a plane to California for 10 days of vacation. Yes, that means they will be away over Christmas which is probably the biggest cause of my blues at the moment. Our youngest daughter (my step-daughter) is in CA this year, so it's important for my husband to spend time with her, and for our oldest to see her sister and her Mom. I was not able to take time off from work this year. In fact, while I'm sulking in my own situation, I might as well moan about the nearly 3 weeks of unused vacation time I will be losing this year...but it's not just a job, it's an adventure. Really, if they didn't tell us we get X weeks of vacation per year as a benefit, I might not miss it. I'm not looking for sympathy. I'm just suffering the consequences of my own choices. My heart really goes out to those families who spend Christmas without their loved ones who are stationed in Iraq. At least I have other family here, so I will not spend Christmas alone. And there's always Target's Choxie brand toffee and chocolate covered popcorn...mmmm. ;-)

Speaking of which...I fought the crowds at Target yesterday to relieve some of the Holiday Blues pressure and managed to knock off most of my shopping list with an hour or two at Target. I didn't get my act together soon enough to do my shopping online this year, but check out this site. I thought this would be a great gift idea for some on my list, but it's too late. This particular tree would make a great anniversary gift for Jen and Beau, whose romance can be traced back to a stroll along the Tidal Basin during the Cherry Blossom festival.

Now for getting Christmas cards in the mail. I don't think I've got the energy to do a Christmas letter insert this year. What are your thoughts on a letter? Too impersonal? Like them? Or not?

And while I'm busy whining, our new blogger friend, Janie, whose social calendar is about 12 times busier than mine, has a nice post up that reminds us of the real reason for the season.

Hark! the Herald Angels sing, Glory to the new-born King, Peace on earth and mercy mild, God and sinner reconciled.

There. I'm all better now. :-)

6 Comments:

At 3:58 PM, December 17, 2006, Blogger Rae said...

I can relate on the tiredness issue totally - Of course some of mine is self inflicted but it was worth it haha!

Hope your holiday blues are totally gone! :) Hugs!

 
At 6:59 PM, December 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I hit my blues a few days ago and am now, thankfully, feeling better. I think everyone hits that point this time of year. Sunday morning at church is a pick me up...a good reminder of the reason for the season.

As for Christmas letters...we send them. I think it's a good way to keep our many long distance relatives in the loop (lots of cousins and aunts and uncles we don't see often.) Gives them something to ask us about at the family reunions. We still sign our cards and I try to put a personal message inside.

Hang in there.

 
At 7:30 PM, December 17, 2006, Blogger That Janie Girl said...

Gwynne - thanks for your comments and link!

As to blues...well, I don't have the blues, I guess we're too busy. But I probably should have. We've not yet bought one present. Not even for our adoptive families. So pray for us, girl. We'll be at our respective workplaces tomorrow, but Tuesday, if you hear of a whirlwind of gale force coming from the West, it's probably MLH and I running around getting it all done!;)

 
At 11:09 PM, December 17, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Rach, I think my blues are self-inflicted also. ;-)

Thanks, Jennifer. I trust this too shall pass. Part of my problem this morning was because I wasn't at church but was instead taking my family to the airport.

And good luck to you on Tuesday, Janie! Prayers on their way.

 
At 7:18 AM, December 18, 2006, Blogger beth said...

Feel better, Gwynne! (Though just the thought of losing 3 weeks of vacation makes me blue - gosh that stinks.) I'm glad you've got family nearby though, cause I can't fathom a Christmas alone.

As for letters, it's all I send. I don't even put them in a card - I would much rather hear about your year (even if it's teh glossed over, happy news only version of things) than get a pre-printed card that you've taken the time to only write "Merry Christmas love me" on. I wanna know what's going on in your life, and if we don't email or keep up in other ways, then a formletter works for me!

 
At 7:48 PM, December 18, 2006, Blogger Foo said...

I don't mean to be a downer, but is anyone else exhausted? I think I've got a case of the Holiday Blues.

Sorry to hear you're bummed, Gwynne. I'm with you, though. Turtle too. I don't know what the deal is, but I just feel all disoriented this year. For the first time ever, we each told the other not to buy gifts--and meant it. Just seems like too much bother, this year.

We're just glad to be getting a chance to go and spend Christmas with our families.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home