Saturday, April 29, 2006

No Para Uso Exterior

There are certain duties around the house which I should simply not be allowed to perform. Among them are projects involving grout. Here we have a perfect example (there are others but let's just focus on this one, shall we?).

You see, this is not just the initial pre-clean-up phase. No, this is the post-op. This is one week later and the grout has still not dried. In the meantime, we have had lots of rain and dogs padding around in the grout. This is our front porch, the entry to our home. Nice, no?


To add salt to my wounds, my beloved husband just asked me if I was sure the grout I used was meant to be used outdoors. In other words, did I know what I was doing? "But of course," I said. I always read the instructions.<*/sarcasm> But then, I don't know much Spanish. Is it telling that MBH did a happy dance when I confessed that I was wrong? I will never again poke fun at him when a home improvement project goes south (not that I would ever, ever do such a thing, because that is disrespectful and rude, but just in case the thought ever crosses my mind, I promise not to laugh...but I have to ask, has anyone else ever roofed a doghouse? And if so, did you start by putting the first row of shingles along the top? I rest my case ;-).

And now, if you'll excuse me, I have work to do.

8 Comments:

At 5:30 AM, April 30, 2006, Blogger Rae said...

Oopsy? I stay away from projects like that because it's inevitable that I will do something daft hehe. I prefer putting kit sets together hehe. Minimises the daftness quota!

 
At 6:33 AM, April 30, 2006, Blogger Jim Jannotti said...

Ay caramba!

 
At 7:56 AM, April 30, 2006, Blogger beth said...

Urk! That's not good. In our home, I am the tiling master (or mistress - but well, that word always sounds funny to me). Hope you can get it all fixed up and awesome looking - the tile is pretty!

 
At 7:51 PM, April 30, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Rachel, I can't be trusted with kits either...I mean, who wants to read instructions in 4 or 5 languages? ;-)

Jim, thanks for the encouragement. ;-)

Beth, perhaps I could pay your airfare over here? Maybe a home cooked dinner or two? And I promise not to call you the "tile mistress."

Eric, yeah, good that it's outdoors, but would be better if it was the back porch. We put these same tiles in our kitchen and entry hall, and that was a year-long work-in-progress. You know those TeeVee shows where they get homes ready to sell in just a week or two? Yeah, right. ;-)

 
At 10:38 PM, April 30, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

I think I can honestly say that I hate tiling now also. Before the year-long kitchen floor project was the master bath shower stall (out of commission for, I kid you not, nearly 4 years...I had grand delusions of turning it into a mosaic seascape after we had to rip out tiles to fix a plumbing problem and couldn't find matching tiles to patch it up). Oh, and you know that blown-on ceiling project? Yeah, that's next. :-\

MBH pretty much looks askance at paying anyone to do anything that theoretically, we can do ourselves, but he draws the line at pumping out the septic tank. ;-)

 
At 1:52 PM, May 01, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Heh. Thanks for the warning. We're limiting ourselves to one bathroom for now. But I can already see white clumpy powder getting in my eyes and causing immediate blindness.

 
At 7:19 PM, May 01, 2006, Blogger Jim Jannotti said...

Jim, thanks for the encouragement. ;-)

I was simply trying to express my solidarity with you as another completely-incompetent-at-
anything-requiring-those-kinds-
of-skills
type person.

 
At 10:34 AM, May 02, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Heh. I read it more as "OMG! I'm so glad I'm not in your shoes!!" ;-) Solidarity is good. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home