Sunday, April 30, 2006

The Land of Blue Bouffants

My mom, bless her heart, loves to collect and send me newspaper clippings, along with letters and gifts at various times throughout the year. I love my mom! She's got a great sense of humor too, so I always look forward to these care packages. The latest one came at the end of tax season and in it were many clippings, everything from an Awake! article about Michael Agricola, the scholar who translated the Bible into Finnish (there's a little Finnish blood in my ancestry, but I don't speak any Finnish...Mom just thought I'd find this "interesting"...told you she has a sense of humor), to another that informs us the purple "boysenberry" in our yogurt is actually ground up bodies of the female Dactylopius coccus costa beetle (sweet!), to this article about death, dying and cosmetology laws in Florida (I was able to track down a link to the article...apparently it's old news, but only recently hit her local paper). You've gotta love Florida for enforcing their cosmetology laws. Too bad Mom doesn't have her own blog. The world would be a better place. Thanks, Mom!

3 Comments:

At 2:02 PM, May 01, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

But see, I've been working on the "Get Mom A Computer" movement for years now. She won't even let me give her my old one (of course, I wouldn't want it either, but she doesn't need to know that).

Did you link to the story of the dead body "lodged in" (not sure what that means actually) the windshield? If so, just read the last sentence. I was extrapolating, as I'm prone to doing. ;-)

I think boysenberries are purple (1/2 blue, 1/2 red), but who's to say they aren't mixing in other forms of the bug to get just the right color? I didn't realize vegans had a problem with bugs in their food. I don't understand that at all. ;-)

 
At 2:29 PM, May 02, 2006, Blogger Jana B said...

Ewwww.... gross about bugs in the food!

UNBELIEVEABLE about the geyser with the body stuck in his windshield!!!! Whew... I guess when I get old that's another reason for me to move to Florida!

 
At 5:39 PM, May 02, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Welcome, Jana! Sorry to gross you out on your first visit here. But hey, I could send you over to Eric's place...he has a really scary snake picture up over there!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home