Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Chicago Wrap-up

Here's one of many photos I took of Eric Idle, the Python responsible for Spamalot, at the Borders Books signing party, where we waited in line for an hour to get our CD signed. Since we just happened to be in the right place at the right time, this was very exciting for us.



We also made a trip to the Chicago Art Institute, which houses a nice permanent collection of the Masters (including many Impressionist works, thanks to a benevolent philanthropist who bought up a large collection of paintings in order to show the world what a cultured city Chicago was at the World's Fair). The featured temporary exhibit this time was
Girodet, a French Romantic "Rebel" from the late 1700's/early 1800's. I enjoyed the show, but not nearly as much as the Rembrandt exhibit on display last time we were in town. We made a special point to see Nighthawks, which is a painting Brian mentioned in a recent post as one of his favorites. I've always liked it too, as a moody reflection of the loneliness that exists in any big city, especially at night.

And here's a photo of the big city of Chicago, as much of it as I could fit into one shot. This is looking into the shiny silver Cloud Gate sculpture at Millenium Park and you can see much of the city skyline as well as the weird (or fantastic, depending on your tastes) Frank Gehry architectural wonder to your left. It's also a self-portrait. If you look really close, you can see my reflection in the cloud.


That's all.

Update: Forgot to use my new found font and justification buttons. Is there no way to set these as defaults? Oy!

And again...must stylize each paragraph separately if there's photos in between. This is far more trouble than it's worth. As it were.

6 Comments:

At 1:02 PM, April 25, 2006, Blogger beth said...

I give you an A on the trip report as well. :) I was wondering about the shiny bit too -- maybe they have a full time windexer. There's a job for you.

It's just too cool that you got to meet Eric Idle (even if it was for 16.2 seconds in an autograph line). My mom actually saw most of the Monty Python guys in a play in London before they were Monty Python. I cherish that handbill of hers. :)

 
At 2:24 PM, April 25, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

I recognized your tatoo.

Um, really? Because that would involve some kind of visual gymnastics, I think. ;-)

And even with a ton of windex, I don't know how people could climb up on this slippery thing. It's like a giant water bubble, most bizarre. It's made of highly polished stainless steel.

It was cool to shake Eric Idle's hand, although his only words to me were "cool camera, is that digital?" as he stared at my chest, making me uncomfortable. We only made eye contact for a brief moment and my response was something like: "Um, yeah, digital. It's very nice to meet you." Because I'm good with words, like that. ;-) But I have the autograph. What more could I want? Your lucky Mom, to meet all 6 of them!

 
At 6:46 PM, April 25, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whaddya mean, "how do they keep it clean?" How would it ever get dirty? I mean, it's in Chicago. There's not a speck of dust in that place.

Word verification: ilchk - abbreviation for the state and city in the photo.

 
At 7:30 PM, April 25, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Brian, that's true. Chicago is a very clean city. I don't remember that being true when I was a kid, but it sure is today. Kansas City dreams of the day its downtown gleams like that of its big sister, Chicago.

 
At 3:20 AM, April 28, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the photos! There is a way of changing your font and making a new default - It just takes a little know how :).

 
At 3:05 PM, April 28, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

It just takes a little know how,

Ah, therein lies the problem. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home