Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Julian Anthony

Baby has a name, finally. Consideration was given to nearly every name in the Book of Baby Names ("over 20,000 names to choose from!") and the New Testament, as well as a few others of Croatian origin. Consensus was reached on the first name fairly quickly (if you call an all-nighter in the hospital "quick"), but the middle name proved to be a prolonged struggle. I preferred Julian Andrew myself, until I realized this sounds an awful lot like Julie Andrews. Plus, it wasn't my decision to make. So Julian Anthony it is.

Mom didn't get to hold Julian for a whole 24 hours after he was born, mostly because she was still hooked up to IVs and catheters, but also because he couldn't be moved out of the NICU where he still resides in an incubator. Both are doing very well and Mom comes home today. She'll likely spend a lot of time at the hospital over the next few weeks though. Julian is still strong and antsy to get out of the box. He is very alert and recognized his mommy right away...the pictures below were taken the first time she held him. After squealing a bit as they pulled him out to put him in her arms, he immediately settled down, opened his eyes to check her out (suspiciously at first, then a few more times), then he snuggled right in. It's still hard to tell just how tiny he is in the photographs, but his fingers are the diameter of BBQ skewers and now he only weighs 2 lbs 15 oz (they tell us this is fine...they haven't introduced breast milk yet so he's only receiving fluids).



Are You My Mother?

Priceless*


Regarding the meaning of names, I think it's funny how much people get caught up in them when a child is born, but how little it matters later in life. It's just a name! But we laughed over this one...our daughter's first choice/suggestion (realize this is in the recovery room, upon just learning that she has given birth to a boy instead of a girl) was Fabian. We all laughed and said, "NO!" (thinking of the 1950's pop star by this name). It got even better though, when we opened the baby book and discovered that it meant, "one who picks beans." Being that the father is Mexican, this seemed like a politically incorrect choice, but we all got a good laugh out of it. It turns out that there is also a Saint (Pope) Fabian who died in 250 AD to whom a chapel on the Island of Brac, Dalmatia (Croatia) is dedicated, so maybe we shouldn't have been so quick to judgement on that one. Anyway, so began the long search for a name. When our daughter suggested Angel (and all I could envision was a tattoo on some gangter girl's arm of her incarcerated boyfriend's name, Angel), we countered with Gabriel. She tried on Gabriel for size, but it just didn't fit (so we all agreed that maybe the angel of death was not our best choice...but hey, it also means "Man of God" which would be nice). Then we tried on Michael, another angel, but that is my nephew's name so it was nixed as a first name. We later tried this as a middle name and came close to Julian Michael.

Aside from being a variation of Julias (meaning Jove's child, from Roman mythology) the name, Julian, has very little meaning (unless "youthful" is meaningful to you). We simply liked the name and it fits him.

* Updated, to add that Anthony, another strong Roman name meaning "priceless," was suggested by my husband who is of the Roman Catholic persuasion. Ultimately, our daughter was convinced. :-)

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 6:59 AM, June 19, 2008, Blogger Sisiggy said...

I know you've been waiting to file for the birth certificate until I said: I approve.
Gabriel would be called "Gabe," which conjures up visions of a Borscht Belt comic ("But, seriously folks. Try the veal..."). And Fabian -- there was really a St. Fabian?

 
At 11:09 AM, June 20, 2008, Blogger That Janie Girl said...

Welcome, Julian Anthony! Prayers for all heading your way...and CONGRATULATIONS, GRAMMY GWYNNE!

 
At 4:17 AM, June 23, 2008, Blogger Bobkat said...

Congratulations! I hope mother and baby are all doing well :) Such a tiny boy but he'll soon grow.

Names are funny things in a way. I used to hate my name (it's not really Bob!) as there are not many people my age with it. But now I quite like it.

 
At 5:08 PM, June 23, 2008, Blogger Rae said...

Congrats! The Julie Andrews comment made me giggle! I like the name Gabriel - I might have to use it if I have kids hehe.

Don't mind the new name. I'm doing it cause I have a blog at work and I don't want to post under my real name there hehe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home