Thursday, June 26, 2008

Days 5 and 6

The view, from where I sat eating my salami and cheese on crackers dinner last night, with a glass of red wine...


The slumped metal cone is the Tacoma Museum of Glass

Wednesday, Day 5 - From sun up (actually, at sun-up I was still sleeping and dreaming...when the dreams turned to nightmares featuring attacking rattlesnakes, I jumped straight out of bed and got to work...well, first, I sucked down a few cups of coffee and got dressed), until sun down (which is very late in these northern parts...it was almost 10pm when I finally broke for dinner), I worked on the deck of the boat. First scrubbing the deck with a mixture of vinegar and baking soda, then hosing it all down, then sanding and scraping old varnish off of the handrails that run the length of the boat. I didn't leave the boat all day. I only talked to 2 people all day, one was my "neighbor" and the other works in the yacht brokerage office in the marina. It was bright and sunny all day and I thoroughly enjoyed being outside. So Day 5, I worked. All day!

Thursday, Day 6 - I woke up with some very sore hands and an aching back. But it felt good. After getting another good report on Julian, I turned on the water heater and took a long hot shower (without sinking the boat...I always fear that opening a drain to the sea will inadvertently admit sea water into the boat instead), dressed and headed up to Seattle for another day of shopping (back to Bed Bath and Beyond for my new list of provisions...this time, kitchen supplies) and relaxing. And now? I'm sitting in Starbucks, at the corner of 4th and Pine, in the heart of Seattle, watching people, clearing out my email at work and checking your blogs. Day 6, I shopped. And watched. And ate good food at the Pike Market.

Life is good.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 7:30 AM, June 27, 2008, Blogger Sisiggy said...

Ah! You're in The Zone! Life is so clear in The Zone, complete with realizations and epiphanies that keep you on track.

When I grow up I want to live in The Zone...

 
At 9:15 AM, June 27, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry I haven't commented more. I've been banging my head against a sermon for the past few days and entirely too focussed on my own, relatively trouble free, life.

Your trip sounds like fun. Careful, you may catch the solo travel bug.

 
At 9:41 AM, June 27, 2008, Blogger DarkoV said...

Seems this "retirement" or "life-change" thing is going pretty well. Well, at least this trial run thing. Have you heard the Call of the Office Siren yet? Oh, yeah! You have. It's those nightmares that wake you up.

 
At 12:37 AM, June 28, 2008, Blogger Gwynne said...

Sisiggy, if only I knew how to STAY in The Zone. The problem with The Zone is it's so transitory! The trick, I guess, is to savor it while it lasts.

Jim, I don't envy your position right now, speaking of transitions. While it's a good one, it's not without a lot of work. I hope you'll post your first sermon as you did your last.

Oh, and it's too late. I've already caught it. ;-)

Darko, yes, a little too well. I called home today to report that I have decided to stay on a while. But that didn't go over very well, I'm afraid.

Office? What office? Heh, you're right about the nightmares. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home