Thursday, March 06, 2008

What's In The Bag?

I just love the old family photos (thanks, Dad! Dad has been working hard scanning all of these precious memories into bits and bytes so we shall never forget). Here's another from the archives, circa 1977, near the sunset on the Age of Aquarius and the dawning of the Age of Saturday Night Fever. I was really struggling here to fit in, you see...

California Bound (At The Airport)

And my brother. Poor guy. He's since grown to be nearly a foot taller than me, but you can see here why it was easy for me to pick on him. Not that I did. But to hear him tell it, I was a regular bully. I look the part, don't I? I have sewing notions in the So-Fro Fabrics bag. How many bullies carry around sewing notions? Seriously. When my grandmother died (about this same time), we went through the house with the auctioneer who asked if there was anything in the house we wanted before they sold everything. After being told "no, that's going in the auction" one too many times, I decided on a big bag of sewing notions (rick-rack, bias tape and such). Score!

The really depressing part about old family photos though is looking back and seeing that I actually had a collarbone at one point (which I broke, by falling out of bed, but that's a different post) . People used to tell me that once I quit swimming and running and kept eating the donuts, I would no longer be so skinny. I didn't listen. *sigh*


Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 8:07 AM, March 07, 2008, Blogger beth said...

Collar bones are funny that way - I broke mine falling out of bed as well...2 weeks after getting out of the splint from having broken it falling off the swings at school.

 
At 7:05 PM, March 07, 2008, Blogger Gwynne said...

I can't believe you did that too! And twice in a row?! Oh, what a pain in the, well, collarbone that must have been. The cast/splint thing was a real challenge!

 
At 10:13 PM, March 07, 2008, Blogger beth said...

Oh yeah, it was a joy. :) I ended Kindergarten with a broken collar bone. I started 1st grade with one. No swimming for me all summer.

 
At 2:43 PM, March 08, 2008, Blogger Bobkat said...

Old photos always prompt so many memories and bring on such a mix of emotions don't they?

 
At 5:58 PM, March 08, 2008, Blogger Gwynne said...

That they do. :-)

 
At 11:39 PM, March 08, 2008, Blogger That Janie Girl said...

How beautiful that you have these memories...and the photos. That's a gift in itself!

 
At 9:27 PM, March 09, 2008, Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Gwynne ~ This is really very nice of your dad to do for you. I wish that I had more from when we as kids were little. Those memories some how seem more real when you see them on paper (or nowadays screens). It could be that is the reason I take so darn many shots NOW! Just trying to insure that my kids and grandkids will someday be able to look back at them and say... See I was even skinny then. As for me, I have to say; "see my hair WAS BLACK way back then?" ~ jb///

 

Post a Comment

<< Home