Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Driving Miss Daisy

Miss Daisy (aka the Navigation System) and I are slowly warming up to each other. I'm learning to trust her and she's learning that I don't always do as I'm told. We've had words, she and I. But she's amazingly resilient when I veer off course and she has to make adjustments to the route. I will admit to having doubts about Miss Daisy's ability to steer me where I want to go, but so far, she has not let me down. GPS technology is amazing, is it not? We can thank our mighty military for that. But more to the point. The point being that it is irritating to be constantly reminded of things you already know. Like when you're driving along I-35 and the plan is to continue on I-35 for the next 25 miles or so, it really is not necessary to interrupt the music every 2-3 miles to state that I should "continue on I-35." I like my music. I don't like interruptions. I see no need for the constant reminders. When it's time to take an exit OFF of the highway that I am on, then I'd like a hint. Until then, quiet. Miss Daisy is a control freak, I've decided. It takes one to know one. ;-)

And another thing. I've been testing Miss Daisy, using her to guide me to places I already know how to find. This way, I can see if she really knows her stuff (because of course, I already know the best and fastest way to get home and to the office...I do...trust me...okay, so maybe not). The first time I took my husband out in The Prince and wanted to show him how smart Miss Daisy is, she suggested that we take a little one lane country road to get to the highway from our house. Neither of us had gone that route before but we followed her directions all the while seriously doubting that she would get us out alive, and voila! There was the highway!

So we're developing trust and learning to be patient with her insistent ways and her constant reminders delivered in that sugary-sweet-gentle-knowing-kindergarten-teacher voice. She has already proven herself to be a worthy investment, but I will never give up my paper maps. I just love maps. I could paw over them all the way from Boston to San Francisco if given the opportunity. I hope Miss Daisy is not the jealous type.

For Darko, who had much grander delusions of just who is in control, "Princess Grace" was very clever but I just couldn't bring myself to talk back to a Princess. ;-)

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 6:45 AM, February 28, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Prince. Heh. Here I was thinking "Rudolph" might be a good name for it.

I'll pass on the navigation system. Did the designers not think that the car radio is there because people actually want to listen to it?

 
At 7:51 AM, February 28, 2007, Blogger beth said...

Has she "Lost satellite conectionnnnn" yet? That's always fun - keep the maps handy. :) Cause when you're relying on someone like Miss Daisy and then they go and do that, well, it's very sad.

 
At 7:29 PM, February 28, 2007, Blogger DarkoV said...

Princess Grace was a good egg (not to mention a gorgeous one. I'm sure the two of you would be conversing quite well.

And, if the Pricess offered advice that seemed contrary to physical fact, say, she told you to make a left onto a sidewalk and drive straight through a garage, I'm sure her regal powers would have magically converted said garage into a space portal to take you to your destination in record time.

But then I always had a soft touch for the Philly Main Line fillies.

 
At 7:53 AM, March 01, 2007, Blogger Foo said...

Feh. Like I'd need another feminine voice telling me where to go...

 
At 11:29 AM, March 01, 2007, Blogger Gwynne said...

Jim, as in the Archduke Rudolph Johannes Joseph Rainier Erzherzog von Österreich? Heh. Very funny. :-) And all I could come up with when I bought the car was Mount Rainier, where I dream of living one day.

Beth, so far, no. But I have pulled out the CD that supports her navigational skills and that pretty much shut her up. No fear, I will always have hard copy back ups. ;-)

"I'm sure her regal powers would have magically converted said garage into a space portal..."

Darko, such a test of my faith in The Princess was simply beyond my capacity to believe. But really, how can you argue with her? It was a strained relationship while it lasted. ;-)

Foo, nor do I, frankly. ;-)

 
At 11:21 PM, March 02, 2007, Blogger That Janie Girl said...

I am a total advocate of "Miss Daisy". With every car rental, I utilize one of her cousins. Still, it seems like the most-used phrase is...

"Make a safe and legal U-turn at the next available juncture."

It might help if she spoke Texan.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home