Friday, July 14, 2006

The "Promised" Book Meme

As promised...mind you, I fell asleep doing this, so I'd venture to say the list is not particularly compelling (in keeping with my "this is not blogworthy" spirit). Here it is:

1. A book that made you cry
Bridges of Madison County, by that one-hit wonder, wuzhisname

2. A book that scared you
Jaws, by Peter Benchley (but I've done some research and learned that if you "just" punch them in the nose, sharks will leave you alone ;-)

3. A book that made you laugh (just one?)
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, by Mark Haddon

4. A book that disgusted you
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, by Hunter S. Thompson (but hey, it also made me laugh)

5. A book you loved in elementary school
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, by Willy Wonka (er, Roald Dahl)

6. A book you loved in middle school (besides Jaws?)
Suicide Submarine, by Yutaka Yokota (a documentary about the WWII Japanese kamikaze submarine pilots)

7. A book you loved in high school
Moby Dick, by Herman Melville (kidding! This book almost made me despise reading)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, by Ken Kesey

8. A book you loved in college
Beloved, by Toni Morrison

9. A book that challenged your identity or your faith
The Last Days of Socrates, by Plato

10. A series that you love
Griffin & Sabine trilogy, if that counts as a "series"
If not, then the Sue Grafton mystery series, starting with A is for Alibi

11. Your favorite horror book
The Shining, by Stephen King

12. Your favorite science-fiction book
Um, how about Future Shock, by Alvin Toffler? I'm no fan of science fiction.

13. Your favorite fantasy book
Chronicles of Narnia, by C.S. Lewis (disclaimer: I have never read LOTR)

14. Your favorite mystery book
Mystic River, by Dennis Lehane

15. Your favorite biography
This will sound really odd, but the most influential biographies were those of Knute Rockne and Babe Didrikson (read in 4th grade)

16. Your favorite coming-of-age book
Are You There God? It’s Me Margaret, followed quickly by everything else ever written by Judy Blume

17. Your favorite book(s) not on this list
A whole bunch of travel essays, including...
The Lost Continent, A Walk in the Woods, In a Sunburned Country, all by Bill Bryson
Running the Amazon, by Joe Kane

9 Comments:

At 6:17 AM, July 14, 2006, Blogger Jim Jannotti said...

The Lost Continent and A Walk In the Woods are both terrific books! Loved 'em.

And I share your (lack of) enthusiasm for Moby Dick. I admire you for actually reading it all the way through, I was about to throw it across the room. I never did, but neither did I finish it.

Now, what did you have for dinner last night?

 
At 6:18 AM, July 14, 2006, Blogger beth said...

Cool. :) I haven't read very many of them. And the Curious Incident is in my Amazon list of things to purchase when I get up to free shipping. :) (I just fill the cart til it says I qualify - doesn't usually take long.)

That was very blogworthy. Have you not read my blog? Where I tell you how many seconds are in 8 hours? Cause, um, that's very blogworthy. So really, just about anything you can come up with, short of like pictures of you clipping toenails (and even then it's ok if you're demonstrating a new technique!) is blogworthy. Even "I have nothing blogworthy today, so I will just type random words" is blogworthy. :)

Happy Friday!

 
At 9:58 AM, July 14, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

there is no way on this green earth i could do a meme asking me to remember all those things.

the funniest book i've ever read is the Laurie Notaro books. she's crass, but she's durned funny. i now own all of her books, but must wait and read them when i am alone, because i hate getting interupted by people asking me what is so funny that i'm doubled over laughing the entire time, or have to keep changing my pants because i pee'd a little.

 
At 11:36 AM, July 14, 2006, Blogger Jen said...

We had the choice of Moby Dick or Portrait of a Lady in my AP English class. We opted for Portrait, which I hated and never finished. All of the other classes read Moby Dick and those kids seemed to enjoy it.

 
At 11:44 AM, July 14, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Jen, I wish we had had a choice. As it were, our teacher loved this book so much he would jump up onto the chairs and desks in all his excited animated teaching.

Susie, sounds like I need to read something by Laurie. ;-)

Beth, I'm with you in theory (as to what consitutes "blogworthy") but lately (as in just the last few days), I'm just not feeling it. I'm going to chalk it up to being too busy at work and get over it. ;-)

Jim, If you liked those, then I highly recommend the others (I've read all of Bryson's books and love every one of 'em).

 
At 1:10 PM, July 14, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Oh, and Jim? Dinner last night was the California Mission Chicken salad at Panera, with a fig balsalmic vinegarette (dressing on the side because Panera is very generous with the salad dressing)...if you like salads, this is a great one!

 
At 12:37 AM, July 15, 2006, Blogger Jenn said...

I couldn't finish Beloved. I got badoozer hooked on Laurie, because Laurie Notaro is side-splitting funny.

I am going to do this meme. very fun.

 
At 12:29 PM, July 15, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Emma, I read it in an English Lit class and I think going through it bit by bit with a fine tooth comb really gave me a deeper appreciation for it. I really loved the book, but I couldn't watch the movie.

I'll look forward to your meme. :-)

 
At 2:15 AM, July 17, 2006, Blogger mis_nomer said...

I loved "Are you there God? It's me Margaret" :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home