Sunday, July 16, 2006

A Quick Dinner

What to make when you're tired and hungry, but still in the mood for something tasty, healthy and good at the end of a long day?

My absolute favorite recipe, without a doubt is grilled salmon served on top of a green salad. We have this at least once a week, sometimes 2 or 3 times. 8-}

You can fancy up the salmon if you like, by marinading it or basting it or seasoning it with Voodoo spices, but that's not necessary. Plain old grilling is fine (or searing if you don't have a grill handy).

You can do whatever you like with the salad. I usually buy a bag of spring mix and throw in whatever extras I have (avocado, toasted nuts, mandarin oranges, tomatoes, cucumbers, blueberries, dried cranberries, whatever).

And my favorite dressing for the salad, because it goes so well with the salmon is a basalmic vinegarette (I usually make my own):

1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil
1/3 c. fig basalmic vinegar (the recipe calls for just basalmic, but if you can get it, the fig is great with salmon
2 T. dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon sugar
Salt and pepper to taste

4 Comments:

At 6:32 AM, July 17, 2006, Blogger beth said...

The vinegarette sounds awesome. I'll have to try it - mine is usually just balsamic and oil and, consequently, rather blah. :) The mustard sounds like a good addition. We're not huge salmon eaters (read: fish scares us so we never eat it) but I'm guessing a good grilled chicken breast would be just as yummy. :)

 
At 9:07 AM, July 17, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Yes, agreed...the chicken breast would be just as good. But we're salmon fans. ;-)

 
At 11:12 AM, July 17, 2006, Blogger beth said...

I will be ever so gracious then and say you may have any portion of salmon that has been earmarked for me. Cause I'm just a giver that way. :)

 
At 11:23 AM, July 17, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

I think we've already eaten your portion and are reaching for the portions of those who may not be so giving. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home