Thursday, March 13, 2008

A Prayer Request

Jim mentions "anesthesia awareness" today and I am reminded to ask for prayers for my admin assistant's wife...he and his wife are going through a horrific experience right now and I pray that life gets better for them very soon! It makes me thankful for all I have, and makes me more conscientious about taking care of my health, for without that, life gets real complicated, real quick!

The situation is that she went in to the hospital yesterday for brain surgery. This is not her first time under the knife. Shortly after they got married about 2 years ago, they discovered a brain tumor. She had it surgically removed and they thought it was all gone. That was stressful enough, but it has returned with a vengeance, and this time required an even riskier operation. This time, they had to perform the surgery while she was AWAKE! Because the tumor was very close to the part of the brain that controls speech, they needed to be able to talk to her while they operated to increase the odds that she will not only survive the surgery, but still be able to talk when the recovery process is over. And as if that is not bad enough, they have to cut open her skull to perform the operation. Oh. My.

I can not even fathom what it must be like to undergo surgery first of all, let alone being awake during surgery, whether intentional or not. And as surgeries go, I think brain surgery would fall into the category of "Least Want to Be Awake During."

If you are of a mind to do so, please pray for Laura.

Update: I just got word that while she is still in ICU, the surgeon thinks the surgery went well.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 10:13 PM, March 13, 2008, Blogger That Janie Girl said...

I'll be praying.

How is your eyelid?

 
At 6:34 AM, March 14, 2008, Blogger Sisiggy said...

She will certainly be in my prayers.

But be optimistic. We had a friend in a surprisingly similar situation and, while the road to recovery was long and difficult, she's in great health now, even though between the two brain surgeries, she also was being treated for breast cancer. If there was ever a person that you thought in the back of your mind would never survive, let alone lead a normal, active life, it was she. But these days, you'd never know what she'd been through.

 
At 10:08 AM, March 14, 2008, Blogger Gwynne said...

Sisiggy, that is very encouraging!

Janie, still itching. I'm trying to refrain from trying to cover it up in hopes it will quiet down soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home