Sunday, September 30, 2007

It's a Race Weekend!

Oh, Lord have mercy. Please give me patience to make it through an entire weekend of NASCAR. This is not easy for me.

Today, we attended the Kansas Speedway to watch the Busch Series race. We went by ourselves, didn't meet anyone there, arrived just before the race began and left as soon as it was over, so we didn't lose a whole day, just most of it (traffic in and out takes at least an hour on either end). Kyle Busch, driving for Lowes which also sponsors "our" favorite driver, Jimmie Johnson, won the race in an exciting neck-and-neck finish, but it took 190 laps to get to the last 10 laps. It's too bad they can't just race the last 10 laps of every race. I'm sure our national gross domestic production would increase dramatically if this were the case when you consider how many people sit on their derrieres for hours and hours every weekend watching cars go round and round, and watching crews change tires more frequently than we change our underwear.

One thing I did enjoy (for about a minute) was checking out the sponsors. The sponsors for the Busch series are not quite the same as the Nextel Cup sponsors. Consider these and tell me, would you really want to be the driver for Holiday Inn? Walgreens? Or how about Old Spice (Old Spice? They still make this? I always think of Swiss Army knives when I think of Old Spice...which isn't often...just sayin'...I have no idea what this means)?

Tomorrow, we will attend the Nextel Cup race with a couple of friends who want to tailgate, so we will go early and come home late. We even bought a canopy and a camping table to do it up right...taking the grill and lots of meat, cole slaw, cookies, fruit, etc. So at least there will be food (and not fried bologna sandwiches either).

Two whole days. Lost. And I have a suitcase full of work that I really need to do before Monday. This is why I am blogging at 2 in the morning, because I brewed a big pot of coffee, did most of that work this evening so that I will be free to waste my day tomorrow...and now, I can't sleep. But I know that when the alarm goes off in the morning, I will be less than chipper.

Praying for rain.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 5:48 AM, September 30, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since you're tailgating, you can always curl up in the back seat of the car. Bring a blanket.

 
At 9:17 AM, September 30, 2007, Blogger beth said...

Um. Have fun?

Jim's idea sounds good. I recommend earplugs in addition to the blanket though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home